Week ending March 15th, 2019

Most weeks of development are pretty predictable with work that is isn’t boring but is not very challenging. But this week had some big walls to push through, as I learned how Gutenberg, React, WordPress, and our custom code all work together. I could spend a few hours figuring something out or even a day without making much progress. But when I finally solved the problem and got something working as expected it felt like such a relief. If there was someone else to hug or high five or cheers to in my office I totally would have. The upside to doing something that challenges and stretches me is that it makes the day go by much faster. I am a lot more likely to be distracted by something other than code if the work is boring or too easy.

The big project™

I spent the first half of the week working on a new format type for the Gutenberg editor but got to a point where things were not progressing, so I took a break to allow other more experienced Gutenberg developers a chance to contribute. I then took on creating a very simple Gutenberg block that essentially is a paragraph block with a specific heading added. Finishing that first block in only a few hours gave me a sense of accomplishment before I took on starting development on a more complex block. The new block has a lot of elements to it including custom settings, repeatable groups of fields, apiFetch calls to the database, reordering of posts, dynamic block rendering, and autocomplete style input fields. The block borrows some code structure from the core gallery block and WooCommerce blocks that provide some similar functionality.


Teach for Canada’s big day is coming up next week, when the service opens to teachers and community members, so there was a bunch of small fixes and bugs that needed to be handled. I also needed to make sure everyone had their accounts set up with the proper access.

I also moved them from Teamwork over to ClickUp this week. They had a few new staff members who wanted access to our project management tools, so it seemed like the perfect time to make the switch. It did take some time to move my tasks over for various client projects, but clicking the downgrade button on my Teamwork account made it all worth it.

Wrapping up

I wasn’t able to fit in much other work this week but did do some plugin updates and a few small fixes for Qpractice. I also lined up some new work for ISSofBC that will hopefully be handled by a subcontractor. Next week is more Gutenberg and hopefully finally getting some work done for Arc Insurance’s XML sending tool.

The complete Work Journal series:
1. Week ending January 25th, 2019
2. Week ending February 1st, 2019
3. Week ending February 8th, 2019
4. Week ending February 15th, 2019
5. Week ending February 22nd, 2019
6. Week ending March 1st, 2019
7. Week ending March 8th, 2019
8. Week ending March 15th, 2019
9. Week ending March 22nd, 2019
10. Week ending March 29nd, 2019
11. Week ending April 5th, 2019
12. Week ending April 12th, 2019
13. Week ending April 19th, 2019
14. Week ending August 9th, 2019
15. Week ending September 20th, 2019
16. Week ending September 27th, 2019
17. Week ending December 6th, 2019
18. Week ending October 2nd, 2020
19. Week ending April 2nd, 2021
20. Coding API integrations in Twilio Studio - Work Journal May 8, 2021
21. Trudging through a complex theme implementation - Work Journal October 29, 2021
22. Creating custom Duda widgets - Work Journal December 10, 2021
23. My first Laravel Nova project - Work Journal December 1, 2023
24. Let's talk about Statamic - Work Journal January 12, 2024